15 benefits of working from home
Employee engagement expert David Zinger, who founded and hosts the 2,900 member
Employee Engagement Network, has worked from his home for over
30 years. David recently completed his first book, ZENGAGE:
How to Get More Into Your Work to Get More Out of Your Work. He believes
that working from home is a strong pathway to robust work/life balance and a
great contributor to engaged well-being. In 15 minutes (while working from
home), David quickly articulated 15 benefits of working from home for us:
- There is no commute, so the journey from home to office
- is under 20 seconds.
2. My 3 children benefit from the ability to have frequent
interaction with me and they get to see what their father does, and of course I
get to see what they are doing too.
3. I don’t spend any time wandering the halls and engaging
in endless cubicle conversations.
4. I feel trusted by employers or clients when I work at
home, and I work harder to honour their trust in me.
5. I can give the neighbourhood black lab a dog biscuit at
10 a.m. when she strolls by my door and I spend a lot less time talking to her
than I would gossiping in the office.
6. I can be the neighbourhood watch and keep an eye on my
neighbours’ homes and children.
7. I can work around medical appointments very easily by
starting earlier or ending earlier.
8. Yes, I can put a load of laundry in while I am working
and I can think about creative solutions to problems I am working on while I am
folding the towels.
9. I literally feel at home while I am at work and I can set
up my workspace in the most effective and efficient manner for productivity.
10. I can start 10 minutes earlier as I do love a 10 minute
power nap around 1:30, and I am refreshed and back to work. Napping at work just
does not seem acceptable, yet the 10 minute power nap really does rejuvenate me
and foster better work in the late afternoon.
11. I can put the roast turkey in the oven at 11:00 a.m. and
we can have a nice hot meal when everyone else gets home.
12. With all the social media tools, web conferencing,
twitter, social networks, I can still be very connected to everyone else I work
13. With an urgent work matter, during non office hours, I
can zip into work faster than Usain Bolt can run the 100 meters.
14. Home is generally quieter than the office and I find I
can concentrate and focus in a much more powerful way working at home.
15. And of course you know, there is no place like home.
Zinger, author of