Canada’s best employers of 2016
Every year, companies from across the country compete to be apart of Forbes’ Canada’s Best Employers list. This prestigious list is generated by roughly 8,000 Canadians answering anonymously about how likely they would be to recommend their employer to someone else. We’ve pulled Forbes’ list of top 25 Best Employers for 2016 across the country to show you who is hiring to help you find the perfect match.
BC Hydro is one of the largest energy suppliers in Canada. They generate and deliver electricity to 95% of the population of British Columbia and over four million people.
- BC Hydro offers various career development and advancement opportunities such as; tuition support, job shadowing, comprehensive leadership programs, mentoring and succession planning
- The company offers generous vacation and personal days
- BC Hydro also has a comprehensive employee wellness and family assistant program that helps employees to balance work and personal responsibilities
ABB Inc. is a global leader in Power and Automation technologies, providing a broad range of products and solutions to improve performance and reduce environmental impact for its customers.
- ABB Inc. offers employees fair and consistent compensation through a long-term renumeration strategy to continuously improve their offerings, rewards and benefits
- Benefit programs include; pension, life insurane, access to medical facilities, work-life balance programs (which include flexible working hours or possibilities to work from home) and lifestyle benefits
- ABB Inc. thrives on employee performance and so they have developed programs such as share plans, profit sharing, rewards and sales incentives
The University of Guelph is known for its excellence in the arts and sciences, and for its commitment to developing exceptional thinkers and engaged citizens. The university is research-intensive and learner-centered, with campuses that span urban hubs and rural communities.
- With a focus on promoting a healthy workplace the University offers many resources, benefits, services and programs such as; access to the child care and learning centre, athletics membership, access to the campus library, a health and wellness plan and more
- The University of Guelph offers a defined benefit pension plan for all full-time employees
- As an educational institution the University of Guelph also offers tuition reimbursement and career development programs
Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited owns and operates an electricity distribution system, which delivers electricity to approximately 740,000 customers located in Toronto. It is the largest municipal electricity distribution company in Canada and distributes approximately 18% of the electricity consumed in the province of Ontario.
- Toronto Hydro strives to attract and retain employees by offering competitive performance-based compensation and benefits
- New employees get to make ‘new connections’ through a detailed onboarding program for all positions
- Toronto Hydro also offers a combination of benefits, positive working conditions and a culture that values team work, results and accountability
The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) is a pediatric health and research center providing outstanding patient care, pioneering breakthrough research, and training the health care professionals of tomorrow. Affiliated with the University of Ottawa and the CHEO Research Institute, CHEO has established itself as a world-class centre providing leading-edge treatment, diagnostic and laboratory services for children and youth.
- CHEO offers a unique culture that fosters dedication, communication, respect and teamwork
- Working for CHEO means an opportunity to grow, both personally and professionally, through a comprehensive orientation program and on-the-job learning
- CHEO also offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
Sheridan delivers career-focused education and training across a wide range of disciplines to 15,000 full-time students annually at its campuses in Oakville and Brampton, Ontario. Their programs blend theoretical and hands-on learning, and most offer a co-op, field placement or internship opportunity to prepare students with relevant work experience before you graduate.
- Sheridan College offers employees a stimulating environment that encourages innovation, values diversity and promotes individual professional development
- Employees recieve competitive total compenssation packages with generous vacation entitlement, maternity/paternity leave top-ups and assistance programs.
- Sheridan College also offers a defined benefit pension plan for full-time employees
The City of Calgary employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities that support a city of over one million people. The City of Calgary makes a difference in the lives of Calgarians by offering expert public service, innovation and creativity.
- The City of Calgary offers competitive wages and comprehensive health benefit and insurance coverage
- Employees of the City of Calgary can take advantage of the flexible working hours, work-life balance and of course the generous vacation policy that range from two to seven weeks
- The City of Calgary has many learning and development opportunities and opportunities to grow in your career with one employer
As the world’s leading manufacturer of both planes and trains, Bombardier has built an extensive and diverse portfolio of winning mobility solutions. Everywhere people travel by land and in the air, a Bombardier product is ready to transport them. From category-defining business jets and commercial aircraft designed for the challenges of today, to sleek high speed trains and public transit that’s smarter than ever.
- Bombardier has an emphasis on providing a diverse and inclusive workplace to create an open and equitable workforce regardless of a persons culture, gender or ethnicity
- Each employee undergoes a career development program to help you grow and achieve your career aspirations
- As a global company there are also many opportunities for internal growth and transfers
Mosaic is a global leader in the crop nutrient industry — the only company with the ability to produce and deliver two vital crop nutrients, phosphate and potash, on a massive scale. Mosaic engages in every phase of crop nutrition, from the mining of resources to the production of crop nutrients, feed and industrial products for customers around the globe.
- Mosaic believes in investing in employees and they prove this by offering safe working conditions, learning and development, compensation programs and benefit programs
- Mosaic strives to be as environmentally friendly as possible in their day to day activities through initiatives such as; land reclamation and water conservation
- Employees can also benefit from important joint ventures that help to drive future growth in various countries around the world
Since 1929, SaskPower has delivered electricity throughout Saskatchewan. Today, they strive to serve an increasingly diverse and sophisticated customer base of more than 500,000 customers. Their team of dedicated employees is made up of over 3,000 permanent full-time employees.
- As one of Saskatchewan’s top employers, SaskPower has an emphasis on professional development and advancement
- SaskPower has a commitment to the environment through green power, energy efficiency and conservation programs
- With a tag line of “life is not all work”, SaskPower has a strong emphasis on work-life balance