How rich are the top 10 richest Canadians?
If you’re wondering how the one percent of the one percent is doing, Canadian Business has compiled its annual list of the 25 richest Canadians.
These lists are incredibly useful for reminding you that life is unfair and that you don’t get paid nearly enough money.
If it makes you feel any better, our richest people, The Thompson Family, are practically paupers with their trifling $36.76 billion compared with the world’s richest person, Carlos Slim Helu, who is worth $72.9 billion. Plus, if one assumes that Canadian Business’s list is listing net worth by Canadian dollars, then Helu is actually worth $97.23 billion.
What? That doesn’t make you feel better? Well, you’re just impossible to please aren’t you?
OK, here are the top 10 richest Canadians and what they’re worth.
10. Richardson Family (James Richardson & Sons Ltd. – agriculture and food)
Total Net Worth: $5.63 billion
9. Estate of Paul Demarais Sr. (Power Corp – financial, communications, and other business services)
Total Net Worth: $6.10 billion
8. Saputo Family (Saputo Inc. – dairy)
Total Net Worth: $6.43 billion
7. James “Jimmy” Pattison (Jim Pattison Group)
Total Net Worth: $6.89 billion
6. Joseph Tsai (Vice Chairman, Alibaba Group)
Total Net Worth: $7.30 billion
5. Irving Family (Irving Group of Companies – forestry, oil, construction, among other things)
Total Net Worth: $7.50 billion
4. Rogers Family (Rogers Communications)
Total Net Worth: $8.86 billion
3. Garrett Camp (Uber co-founder)
Total Net Worth: $9.18 billion
2. Galen Weston (George Weston Ltd. – food processing and distribution – Holt Renfrew, Selfridges)
Total Net Worth: $13.67 billion
1. Thomson Family (Thomson Reuters)
Total Net Worth: $36.76 billion